Sunday, June 22, 2008

. The Strike of The Terrible Towel . [free-writing]

As I closed my locker door, I never would have imagined that yesterday’s game would be my last. I tucked my jersey in my pants and made way for the field. I had been an NFL Official for eighteen years and I’d loved every second of it. Walking to the field I had an eerie feeling in my chest. I didn’t know if it was because of the yellow sea of fans, proudly waving their towels in the air or just the bitter chill of the tundra. Whatever it was, I’d dreaded going to Pittsburgh. Everything about that atmosphere was cold and unwelcoming.

Standing with my officiating crew at the 50 yard-line, I could tell by the way they were trembling, they felt the same way I did about officiating in Pittsburgh. My umpire, Dan Ferell, looked at me and said “Mike, I know how important this game is, but this place really creeps me out.” Other crew members nodded in agreement. I looked up in the stands and noticed that everyone had a brutal look in their eyes. There was no denying that these Pittsburgh fans were hell-bent on winning this AFC Championship game. No matter the cost.

As I bent down to tie my shoe, I heard a very familiar voice say, “Tonight’s game will decide who will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. The Pittsburgh Steelers have clinched home field advantage with a regular season record of 13-3. They will take on a San Diego Chargers team that has won their last 7 games. With the return of quarterback, Philip Rivers, the Chargers look to upset the Steelers at home.” I looked up at the press box and through the window I could see the late great Myron Cope. At that point, I knew my mind was playing tricks on me. He had passed away months ago; there was no way he could be in the press box broadcasting the game. In disbelief, I shrugged it off and called the team captains to the coin toss.

Everything seemed okay up until the third quarter. The Steelers were up 10-3 and were beginning to lose momentum. It was third and long at the Steelers forty yard line. Steelers quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger moved his right leg back to send Steelers wide receiver, Santana Holmes, in motion. The crowd was completely silent as Ben Roethlisberger called the cadence. It was so quiet that I could actually hear Holmes’ cleats as they dug into the ice covered grass. Steelers center, Sean Mahan snapped the ball into the hands of Big Ben. After dropping back into the pocket, Roethlisberger found Steelers wide receiver, Hines Ward open near the left sideline. As he released the ball, Chargers outside linebacker, Shawn Merriman, struck Ben in the back causing the ball to hang in the air. Before Ward could reach up and grab the football, Chargers defensive back, Antonio Cromartie snatched it out of the air and took it in immediately for a Chargers touchdown. As the disgruntled crowd booed the noise level magnified. Unexpectedly, Hines Ward dashed to the end zone, picked up Antonio Cromartie above his head and slammed him to the ground. Cromartie laid there in a daze as Ward signaled the crowd to make more noise. I blew my whistle and ran over to Hines Ward to make sure he didn’t add onto his act. As I looked at him, I realized he had the same disturbed look in his eyes each of the fans had before the game. I had no choice but to eject Hines Ward. He seemed to be pleased with my decision. In fact, walking towards the tunnel he pulled a “terrible towel” out and twirled it above his head motivating the crowd to roar even louder. Was this a sign of things to come?

Nine seconds remained on the clock in the fourth quarter. The score was still tied 10 – 10. The Chargers were left with one timeout as they took on their final possession. It was third and long at their 47 yard-line. The crowd roared with anticipation of the next play. Chargers Quarterback, Philip Rivers, made his way to the line of scrimmage. Avoiding a delay of game, he barely got off the snap. He dropped back and looked for Chargers tight end, Antonio Gates near the sideline. Hoping Gates could make the catch, get out of bounds and leave enough time for a field goal, Rivers released the ball in the direction of a wide open Gates. As the ball approached Gates, it slipped right through his finger tips. The crowd cheered with excitement as they looked forward to overtime. But, they had yet to see the yellow flag I’d thrown on the ground! The crowd grew quiet as each person discovered the yellow laundry on the field. I adjusted my microphone to make my announcement, “Roughing the passer. Number fifty-one for Pittsburgh. Automatic First Down, San Diego!” Every fan in the stadium went amuck! They started throwing things, spitting, and yelling hateful obscenities. James Farrior, the player responsible for the penalty, was yelling at me as teammates held him back. Farrior denied the call but he had, in fact, hit Rivers long after he released the ball. My call stopped the clock and placed San Diego in field goal range. I watched as the San Diego Chargers set up for the game winning field goal. At this time, everything was moving in slow motion. This field goal could send the San Diego Chargers to the Super Bowl. The ball was snapped to Chargers holder Mike Scifres. Scifres planted the ball perfectly on the ground as kicker Nate Kaeding booted the ball towards the goal post. Everyone watched as the ball tumbled through the air and sailed cleanly through the goal posts. My back judge, Bill Schmitz placed both of his arms in the air indicating that the field goal was good. Pittsburgh fans went wild. They scrambled out of their seats and bombarded the field with rage. Before any us could escape, we were surrounded by fans in every direction. They moved closer and closer, twisting their golden towels above their heads roaring even greater obscenities and threats. Then I blacked out.

Waking up in the hospital with a broken arm, a broken foot, a bruised pelvis, and stitches on my forehead, I could barely move. My whole body ached. Trying desperately to remember what happened, I noticed the newspaper lying on my bed next to me and its headlines: “Angry Steelers Fans Retaliate on a Bad Call.” There was a picture of me, surrounded by black and gold fans, helplessly trying to escape. After reading the article, it turns out ten people were injured; four Chargers players and the six members of my officiating crew, including me. I made up my mind then and there that it was time for me to call it quits. There was no way I could recover mentally from a game like that. Remembering the dread I’d felt at the beginning of that game, I looked over to the chair in my hospital room. Sitting in that chair was the image of Myron Cope. Myron looked at me and said “The Terrible Towel is poised to strike and boy did it strike!”





- Xperience





Forearm Shiver - Autumn Thunder

No comments: